Here is a small testshot of the entry scene highlighting the areas of work I did during the last weeks, mainly cloth simulation, hair and environment texturing.
The lighting used here is a bit more than basic and gives a better idea of the mood for this scene. But its only simple lighting, no render layers and no compositing or color correction.
Cloth simulation looks ok now and will be used for the final. The hair looks ok but still needs some more attention, but I am relieved to have it somewhat working. The environment texturing is close to final for the principal textures, only some more subtle coloring will be added.
Whats still missing is texturing/shading of Ara and her dress.
Right now one frame from this shot has a rendertime of 56 seconds in full resolution (1920×1080) on my amd quadcore system. This makes me optimistic to reach my goal of ~4 min per frame. An Interesting side note here is that the preparation time before the rendering itself is starting is 30 secs, so the actual rendertime is 26 secs. As the preparation time does not take advantage of multiple cpus this is a value which does not scale with more cpus.
Right now my time tracker is at 736 hrs and still counting:
73:54 03-Concept Art
10:10 10-Project Management
Its good to see all the single parts put together into a small shot. Whats even better, is that it gets exactly the mood and look I had in mind when I started this whole project. This is very satisfying and helps bear the sometimes difficult times during production of this short.
The shot was rendered at 75% of the full resolution, so do yourself a favour and view it fullscreen.