While waiting for the sound and music work to continue, I use the time to work on various things to have ready for the release.
I declare the visual development for Ara’s Tale as finished.
This is not 100% true, but I declare it nonetheless. Actually I still have to do the lipsyncing for two shots. This will be done after Ara’s Song is recorded, which will happen this very weekend.
Finally all render/compositing jobs are done and I have now the full 1080p footage ready.
I still do have the intermediate multilayer renderpasses for each shot, in case there is the need to revisit some compositing tasks. The storage demand is quite huge for these (a single frame typically has ~140MB) , but it already saved me a lot of time and trouble. I guess I will only delete them once the movie is eventually released 🙂
This is one of the rare shots from our shooting during production 😉
The render machine is running and purring and I already have 80% of the movie in 1080p rendered out. As of this writing the remaining render time will be ~48hrs.
During the course of this final rendering, all sorts of little nasty and quite unexpected problems surfaced, which forced me to tweak and investigate to force the render to be what I wanted it to be.
Now that my render machine is spitting out frame by frame, I had some time to work on the movie poster for Ara’s Tale.
Enjoy and spread it !
UPDATE (15.3.2012): I have now added a link to the high res version of the poster.
Finally I have (virtually) pressed the big RENDER button on my render machine and with this I have started the last part of the visual voyage for Ara’s Tale.
Finally the long awaited major milestone is here !
All major visual development is done and I have edited the movie to a final cut. This is not yet a picture lock, but what I call a timelock. Now the path is clear for Mikkel and Phil to do their magic and add sound and music to this movie.
With this post I want to summarize and share my experiences I had using the particle system in current blender 2.61.
The current production phase calls for a lot of vfx, mostly to be done using dynamic particles. I will not go into detail as to what exactly the shots are, but I think just describing the overall concepts and approaches will give you an enough complete picture.
Confirmed by comments on my recent post, I will try to refrain as much as possible from displaying potential spoiler images.
As this would mean, to cease showing any images from now on, I thought I could give you some look ‘behind the scenes’ of the type of work I am mainly involved right now concerning Ara’s Tale.
This is especially for you, the small but constant number of followers of this project 😉