Allthough I am still only at the beginning of texturing the dragon, there is quite some recorded screen material to be used as a timelapse screencast.
The days since my last post have been quite busy in regard to Ara’s Tale.
A lot work revolved around Ara’s Song. This song has always been a central piece of the movie and ever since I wrote this part of the script I dreaded the time when finally the decision had to be made who should sing this song.
… is due.
As I have just heard today, I won the blenderday award 2011. Or to be more precise, 3 sequences from Ara’s Tale got me the award.
Besides the fame and glory, the award comes with a price: a GTX 560i 2GB graphics card. Just the right stuff to tackle texturing the dragon with Mari 🙂
Ara’s Tale already scores its first award and isn’t even released yet 😉
So, now I will open my bottle of Ardbeg Renaissance ( reserved for special moments) and raise my glass to this nice surprise.
ps: for fans of single malt scotch whiskeys, this one is definitely one you should try.
Today it is exactly 2 years, that the first work on Ara’s Tale was started. It was a very (very) rough sketch of Ara and the dragon (a shot which I have not shown here) done in mypaint.
… well, not really, but at least one of its icons may start to get more widely used.
As it turns out, the model seems quite good for testing these type of algorithms, and the model along with the source code will be available under an open license directly from intel.
Well, what can I say. There is nothing like seeing your model all over the place and intel using it as demonstration for their new technology.
That means visually Ara’s Tale has reached 50% completion.
The last 3 shots where very demanding in various aspects and thus took much longer than anticipated.
A bit late, but here it is. My second installment of the Blender/Mari diary, this time done as a screencast.
This video highlights the workflow I was using to enhance and repaint the texture for part of the main set ( the platform where Ara stands ). The used texture resolution/UV Layout was not high enough for a closeup shot of the cage, where the floor occupies a significant amount of screen space, resulting in a blurred render. The approach used here is to rebake the texture to a new UV layout and fill in the details inside Mari.
This post should have been my first screencast doing some texturing work, but alas as live plays, things have gone a bit different.
Continue reading “Light and Shadow”
The last weeks saw me busy on various production aspects for Ara’s Tale.
I finished ( meaning make it production ready ) 6 more shots and in doing so, I had two aspects which I had to tackle, with one being quite a time consuming beast.
I want to use this post to highlight the workflow I am using when working with blender and Mari.
To get an overall view of the features and capabilities of Mari, I advise to go to the Mari website and read through the material presented there.
I will concentrate here more on the differences between blender and Mari and how to set things up to straighten these out.