After a lot of tinkering and various attempts, I am glad to be able to announce the availability of the production files for Ara’s Tale.
After 3 years in the making, finally is the moment of truth:
I proudly present the release of Ara’s Tale !
Writer/Director: Martin Lubich
Music: Philippe Rey
Sound: Mikkel Nielsen
After 3 years of writing alone on this blog, it is now time to let the other team members have their voice and thoughts heard.
And it also helps a bit to shorten the waiting time until the final release … 🙂
Philippe Rey (www.phreymusic.com) was so kind to write a bit of his experience with working on the score for this project.
Thank you Phil for taking your time and a thousand thanks for enriching this movie with your wonderful music !
And now I step back and let Phil tell his tale …
It is not the first time the this project creates a momentum out of its own and steers to directions I have never thought of.
Today I managed to get a very generous offer from a local cinema. With the idea of supporting the local movie making community, I was offered to rent a full cinema hall for a local premiere of Ara’s Tale. The price is such, that I feel able to raise enough donations to get this actually financed.
This all comes with a catch, .. of course 🙂
To ensure the best picture and audio I have to deliver the movie as DCP – Digital Image Package, the actual world wide standard for distributing digital cinema content.
Fortunately there are free possibilities to be able to produce these type of digital media. But looking at the whole specifications behind this, I guess that there is a whole new world of things which needs to be handled correctly to get a working DCP movie.
What I would like to ask the community: Is there any knowledge out there, that could give me a good starting point and tips to start into the right direction ?
If you happen to have some experience with this, I am glad for any input you can provide.
Phil has delivered the final score for Ara’s Tale.
Over 8 minutes of original soundtrack, fitting perfectly to, and enhancing the visuals by a huge amount.
For me the score is fantastic. Phil and I have both a very similar emotional response to the images and the whole mood. That means working with Phil on the score was a perfect match, sometimes even eerie.
There is one part especially, complimenting the climax of the movie, where when I received the first proposal, I just sat there, totally stunned. It was like watching a completely new movie.
My deepest respect and gratitude goes to Phil for enriching the movie with such a beautiful score.
Now, that only leaves the sound fx to be finished, which Mikkel is very hard working on. And looking at the work he has already done for the movie, I am very excited to hear the remaining bits. This will take yet some more weeks though.
That also means, that the long waiting will be over comparably soon …
What white pixels ?
These, there, flickering at the cliff wall !
… I do not know why this has slipped through my countless screenings, but here they were. Full bright white, sometimes colorful, single hot pixels.
What follows now is an anecdote, highlighting the various adventures you sometimes face, when dealing with problems which seem so trivial at first sight. It is almost nostalgic, as these problem patterns tended to appear throughout the whole production and they persist right to the end 🙂
I guess doing the lipsyncing as the last step in the production of a movie is not what you would call ‘common practice’. It is not even ‘good practice’. But then, that’s just another first, of the many others encountered during production 🙂
This weekend we managed to do the recording with Julia for Ara’s Song.
Thanks to my friend Michael Raich, who generously offered his small multimedia room for this purpose.
The whole recording took about 2 hours for the 1 minute song.
The image above show Julia and me discussing some rhythmically demanding parts.
I have now about 10 full takes of this song and will clean it up a bit before putting it forward to Mikkel and Phil for further processing 🙂
What I have now to do is the still missing lip syncing for Ara’s Song. After this I will power up the render machine for a (hopefully) last time for this movie.
While waiting for the sound and music work to continue, I use the time to work on various things to have ready for the release.
I declare the visual development for Ara’s Tale as finished.
This is not 100% true, but I declare it nonetheless. Actually I still have to do the lipsyncing for two shots. This will be done after Ara’s Song is recorded, which will happen this very weekend.